The New 2018 Red Dragon Has Been Released!
The Queen's Beasts The Red Dragon of Wales 2018 UK One Ounce Silver Proof Coin
- A fierce coin series struck in remarkable royal times
- Approved by the Palace and celebrating Her Majesty’s rich heritage
- With contemporary designs by the creator of The Queen’s current coinage portrait, Jody Clark
- The smallest silver coin in the collection
- Struck in an ounce of 999 fine silver and finished to Proof standard
Capturing the Passion of the Nation in Precious Metal
As a young woman crowned at the age of 25, Her Majesty The Queen embraced the traditions and experience of her ancestors. The entrance to her coronation at Westminster Abbey was lined with ten impressive reminders of the heritage Her Majesty inherited that day. The Queen’s Beasts have now been revisited for this collection from The Royal Mint, which explores the stories that lie behind these legendary creatures. The third coin in the collection celebrates the Red Dragon of Wales.
This edition of the coin has been struck in one ounce of 999 fine silver and finished to Proof standard. Just 6,000 coins are available in this Limited Edition Presentation, and each comes in a Royal Mint case with a booklet that explores the story of the dragon in heraldry and the inspiration behind the design.
The Queen's Beasts The Red Dragon of Wales 2018 UK One Ounce Gold Proof Coin
- A royal series celebrating remarkable royal times, approved by the Palace
- Celebrating Her Majesty The Queen’s rich heritage
- The third design, created by Royal Mint coin designer Jody Clark, for this fierce series
- Struck in an ounce of 999.9 fine gold and finished to Proof standard
A Contemporary Design to Celebrate Historic Royal Times
The mysterious art of heraldry has its roots in the medieval battlefields, when men faced each other in epic clashes. In its simplest form, colours and symbols were used on shields and flags so that large groups of enemies could tell each other apart. But these symbols have evolved through the ages, inspiring us to this day. The Queen’s Beasts have been revisited for a collection that celebrates remarkable royal times and brings the art of heraldry to life with contemporary designs.
Only 400 Red Dragon of Wales coins have been struck in one ounce of 999.9 fine gold. Each coin is finished to Proof standard and comes in a Royal Mint case with a booklet on the designer’s inspiration and the story of the Red Dragon in heraldry.
The Queen's Beasts The Red Dragon of Wales 2018 UK Five Ounce Gold Proof Coin
- The Red Dragon of Wales is the third release in this popular coin series
- Celebrate Her Majesty The Queen’s rich heritage and historic royal times with a series approved by the Palace
- A new, original design created by Royal Mint coin designer Jody Clark
- Struck in five ounces of 999.9 fine gold and finished to Proof standard
The Red Dragon of Wales Captured in Fine Gold
Dragons are one of the best-known mythical beasts. In heraldry they are associated with strength, wisdom and power. The Red Dragon was an emblem of Owen Tudor, the grandfather of Henry VII. Henry’s troops carried a fiery red dragon standard at the Battle of Bosworth. More than four centuries later, the Red Dragon of Wales made an appearance at Her Majesty The Queen’s coronation, reinforcing her Welsh heritage.
Just 75 of these coins are available, struck in five ounces of 999.9 fine gold. Each coin is finished to Proof standard and presented in a Royal Mint case, along with a booklet that reveals more on the inspiration behind the contemporary design and the dragon in heraldry.